Friday, May 22, 2009

Nearly Complete!

Ben and I returned to work this week after a couple of weeks off (I had shows in Louisiana). It was good to be away from the album for a bit. Those last few days prior to our break were exhausting and punishing in their humbling.

We picked back up on Monday and Tuesday with more background vocals. My old compatriot, Andrew Peterson, was kind enough to drop by and sing harmony on "Run Down". We ate (yet more) Mexican food, this time with AP, Ben, and Mr. Paul Eckberg, who played drums on half the album.

Wednesday was Hammond B-3 day at Ben's friend's place. It is still hard for me to dislike B-3, try though I might. Ben worked hard for three hours recording keys, whereupon we disconnected his portable system and reconvened, Subway sandwiches in hand, back at The Beehive. After lunch, I sang more BGVs, and we convinced Andrew Peterson to come back up to the studio to help us sing a "gang" vocal (sort of like a choir, sans church robes) to a counter-melody part I had written/imagined early on for "Come Back A Fool". Though I wish we would have had another three or four folks in attendance, it seemed to work well enough. The more voices, the more variety, the better.

Thursday was another day of overdubs with Gabe Scott. We all met at 11am, and he played pedal steel on "Louisiana in the Dark" and "I Had to Tell You", and lastly played lap steel on "Reality Came Crashing Down". Good, very good stuff. Ben played accordion on "Louisiana", also. This was a good day. Doing overdubs (the ear candy) is extremely gratifying because you have the chance and the privilege to witness your songs come alive in the hands of talented musicians. When it comes to recording an album, this is easily the fun stuff.

After Gabe left, I sang a few more final BGVs, and came up with a spur-of-the-moment counter-melody to the outro of "You Don't Have the Strength". So very glad that moment happened when it did.

Today, Friday, was brief, but good in its progress. I met Ben at David Henry's studio at 1pm, where David played cello and violin on three songs: "Sad to Watch You Wave", "Come Back a Fool", "Traveling Onion". David and Ben seem to be similar spirits, both talented and musically astute fellows. I've spoken of my deficiency in this before, but these guys easily engage in that musical language that I know little to nothing about. I tried not to beat myself up too much, and simply to listen for ideas. They were kind enough to accept my suggestions, something I am still terrified to offer up in the presence of obviously skilled musicians and producers. David knocked it out of the park. He was kind enough to brew me a pot of coffee, too. Brilliant.

Folks - or whomever, if anyone, is reading this - I can't wait for you to hear this album. It's shaping up nicely, thanks in very large part to producer Ben Shive. I'm glad I get to call him "friend." As soon as I figure out a release date, I will start taking pre-orders for Chrome. More work, including french horn overdubs, hopefully, next week. Stay tuned, please.

Lastly, happy birthday, Danielle!

6 comments:

Janna Barber said...

So . . . do you already have someone enlisted to be one of the first hearers of the album, who will then write a review to spread the good word? 'Cause, you know . . I could do it for you . . . if you want.' (Said in my very best Kevin -from the Wonder Years- voice. Completely pitiful.)

bret welstead said...

Thrilled to hear of the recent progress! That must be so fun to hear songs come to life like that. Based on the "ear candy" on Scarce and The Miracle of Forgetting I'm sure this one's going to be sweeter still.

Are your "supporters" going to get a copy before the release date, or at the same time as the official release?

ERiC PETERS said...

Bret, I'm hoping to get all the patrons their CDs at least 2 weeks prior to the release date (which is still up in the air). I haven't set a release date yet b/c we're still working on production and I'm at the mercy of Ben's schedule. Once we begin mixing, however, I'm hoping to have a better idea for a specific calendar date for releasing "Chrome". I'm still hopeful for a June release, but it could slide into July before it's all said and done.

Thank you for being so incredibly patient, you album patrons and eager anticipators alike.

ERiC PETERS said...

Janna, sorry... didn't mean to ignore your comment.
Other than my wife, whose finances are equally tied up in said venture (Geez, I *really* hope she likes the work) , I have no one specifically enlisted for such a task, although I'm hopeful that the proprietor of The Rabbit Room will offer up some kind words in his superb venue. Since I have no distribution, other than iTunes (I hope), I would love any amount of help/criticism/review that you are willing and able to offer. The more that folks say positive things about the album in public settings, the better. I believe that's still called a grassroots campaign.

Janna Barber said...

Well if you can call my blog and its nine followers public, then we have a deal, my friend. John reminded me that we're "supporters" and will get the album early anyway. Godspeed, forthwith, and all that jazz!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear the finished product...it sounds like this will be the best EP CD yet (which is saying quite alot)!

Happy B-day to Danielle also! Hope to you guys sometime soon.

dpatton